Custodianship / Guardianship


Students under the age of 19 are considered “minors” in B.C. and if they are not accompanied by a parent or legal guardian, they must have a custodian to study and live in the province.

A custodian is a responsible adult who cares for the minor.

In some cases, the B.C. school district or independent school may provide a custodian for international students. However, you should check with your school district or independent school to determine their process.

Read on for more information about guardianship of minors.